Monday 31 January 2022

La Studio - Ground Floor Insulation & Preparation

 Monday 31st January 2022

So, having laid a Sand Base on the old, stable stone floor last week, today I was able to proceed with laying the DPC to both rooms, as well as the Polystyrene Insulation Boards, that I taped.


East Side Rear
West Side Front


West Side with Grid
A metal grid provides extra reinforcement for the concrete base, although as the original stone floor has not been disturbed and as been down for many years, it should just be extra assurance.






East Side with Leveller
I was then able to check the floor level, which is pretty level across from East to West, but drops from the Back Wall to the Front.  This was perhaps deliberate when the building was used for animals to help with 'run off'.  I had already determine that this could not be corrected as the front ceiling height would be compromised and the door threshold has been limited to 12cm.

I decided install 4 wooden, 5cm thick lengths in each room running front to back, to allow me to lay the concrete and be used to secure the floor as level as possible.  To help I have installed cross supports to raise the level lengths where needed to achieve as level a floor as possible!

So, now I have a 2 day task to mix and lay the concrete in each room and leave it for a week to settle and harden, whilst I attempt more task upstairs.