Friday 4 February 2022

La Studio - Upstairs Room Threshold and Door Opening

Easier day, but a problem was uncovered when I removed the stone and soil I have left at the bottom of the new opening between the West and East side rooms.  Obviously, when the farmer constructed the building he was not concerned with identical level of the rooms with a dividing wall, but the West is about 4cm higher than the East.

Having measured and mulled over the options I realised a level threshold was not possible so there will be a small slope on the East Side once I finish and it will hopefully be ok when I lay the Livyn flooring.  So I laid a chipboard across most of the threshold, once I had laid a concrete base up to the west side beams and once dried tomorrow to create a slight cement slope of 8cm wide down to the East side floor and hopefully all will be OK!

I removed some some stone on the front side of the opening to ensure an 80cm width of the opening and then started to level this vertical side from the bottom up.  Had to stop when I used all the cement I had mixed, as the weight on some stone would have been too much and will finish tomorrow, in readiness for this wall being Rendered both sides next week.

Try mot to work at the weekends, but on Saturday I finished the stone placement on the Upstairs Door Opening and the Threshold. I also did some clean up scraping to the window glass to remove the foam.

East Side Door Opening

West Side Door Opening

Upstairs Door Threshold


I also did some testing of the downstairs central wall to remove the old render next week and suspect this will take all day on Monday to clean up both sides up and down, which is essential to get the right effect of the new render on these wall and ensure the beauty of the stone remains exposed in most places.

Render Testing